TODI IS AN CHARMING ANCIENTE ART CITY, ON THE TOP A HILL DOMINATING THE MIDDLE VALLE DEL TEVERE
It was one of the towns in contact with the Etruscan civilization that flourished on the right bank of the Tiber River, and it was a thriving center in the 5th-4th centuries BC. In Roman times it was a colony and a municipium
In the 12th century it became an independent commune, the start of a very prosperous period, which saw the construction of many of its outstanding monuments. Its independence did not last long, however, due to the continuous fighting against Spoleto, Orvieto and Narni. In 1230 the leading religious poet of the 13th century was born in Todi: Jacopo Benedetti, better known as Jacopone da Todi.
In Piazza del Popolo, the heart of the city since Roman times, you’ll be surrounded by the most representative historical buildings, principal seats of the civil courts and the episcopal power of the municipality. Palazzo del Capitano overlooks the eastern side of the square, next to the Palazzo del Popolo which it joins at the back. Built at the end of the 13th century to host Council meetings, it was the second public building.
The older Palazzo del Popolo or Palazzo del Podestà, which juts out further than the adjacent Palazzo del Capitano, was designated as the principal seat of the Podestà, a six-month appointment for an external magistrate in Todi from 1201
The Palazzo, one of the oldest public buildings in Italy, also known as the Palazzo del Comune, is the result of several interventions carried out over the centuries.
The monument which stands out above the others is the Cathedral of Saint Maria Annunziata. The 13th century façade, provided with an horizontal crowning, was modified different times, most recently in the first years of the1500s.
The wonderful central rose window stands out. Its original glass was replaced, during the 19th century renewal of the whole building, by the current ones by Francesco Moretti from drawings by Eliseo Fattorini and Giuseppe Francisci.