It combines its medieval features, such as winding alleys and ancient stone houses, with several remains of the Roman era, such as the town walls and the still well-preserved gates, the remains of the theatre, the amphitheatre and of the baths opened along this route. The church of St. Mary Maggiore (12th – 13th century), with great art treasures inside it, stands out among the religious buildings: on the left side of its nave is the splendid Baglioni chapel decorated with frescoes by Pinturicchio and enriched with a floor in majolica tile from Deruta (1566) as well as Perugino’s paintings.

In the surroundings there is the interesting Villa Fidelia dating to the 1500 and then considerably transformed and expanded in the 1700 and 1800, built on the place of a majestic Hellenistic sanctuary devoted to different divinities, including of course Venus. The villa hosts a rich collection of paintings, sculptures and antiques.